Falcone Piano Query

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:37:23 -0400

I understand from the (new) owners of Mason & Hamlin that they are
concentrating their efforts at getting production of the M&Hs back on line.
 Future plans for Falcone are less certain.

I have seen/worked on four of them, all seemingly wonderful pianos.  I had a
Model 74  (7'4") from about 1989 in my care for about five years.  Belongs to
a performing pianist (Lucille Richardson) on the faculty at the School of
Music, State University of New York - Fredonia.  I don't have her phone
number at hand, but the SOM number is (716) 673-3151.  I'm sure she'd be glad
to talk with you about it.  She is very particular about touch and tone,
maintains excellent climate control, sponsors regular voicing and regulating
work, as well as tuning.  The piano had a few glitches at first, but nothing
serious.

The pianos are (dare I say?) imitation Steinways.  My feeling is that Santi
Falcone (no longer connected with the piano company) had set out to build
pianos using the best design features of S&S, high craftsmanship, and
concentrating on the size gaps in the New York S&S production series, plus a
concert grand.  Seems to me like it worked out pretty well, except perhaps
from the (crucial) commercial standpoint.  In that sense, Falcone
demonstrates the point that a few other makers have in the past:  To build a
Steinway-like piano costs a lot, which puts the price in the bracket of S&S
pianos - in that case, why not buy a Steinway?

  -     Tom McNeil, RPT     -
Vermont Piano Restorations