un-weighting

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:45:14 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          Bob Simmons <bsimmons@wiley.csusb.edu>
> Subject:       un-weighting
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu (pianotech list)

> It's sure been quiet with ya-all at Dearborn. I'm about to begin trying to
> solve some complaints of "loose action" on a Steinway D, used for
> concerts. In speaking with the previous technician the keys were weighted
> to give it a lighter touch, after new hammers were installed. When I came
> to it, it was badly out of regulation (I'm suspicious that it wasn't well
> regulated before weighting, after a light regulation, the touch is no
> longer consistent (it really wasn't before) and the touch is predominantly
> very light. I'm afraid I need to start knocking out weights, which is a
> new operation for me. Can anyone tell me what problems I'm looking at? I
> assume I have to plug the holes. . .any details you'd like to suggest?
>
> I'm going to start out by regulating, so I won't be knocking any weights
> out today, but I'd love any suggestions ASAP.
>
> Bob Simmons, RPT

Bob,

Whats the downweight/upweight?  If you have a low downweight &
upweight, removing a lead or two will really improve the action.
Removing leads is pretty straight-forward...Drill a hole in a
block of wood that will accept a keylead.  Place key over hole
and punch out lead.  The problem is which lead to remove?  I
would start with one of the leads that was installed by the previous
tech to lighten the action.  Question?  Are the hammers still
newish or have they been filed a lot?  I have heard of plugging
the key with a similar wood.  I tried with sugar pine but had
the plugs fall apart.   What wood do other techs use...spruce?
I'd at least plug with a hardwood dowel.