un-weighting

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:52:43 -0600

>I would first and foremost, determine if it is true that someone has added
>keyleads to the keys, has removed keyleads from the keys, and/or has
>relocated the original keyleads in the keys.  If any of these items can be
>determined to have happened, I would attempt to undo those changes to make
>the keys has original as possible.  If you do have to remove leads, I would
>fill the holes with dowel plugs for strength and continuity.
>
>Keith A. McGavern, RPT

To further refine the process, I would suggest that you cut your plugs from
sugar pine or any other suitable wood rather than using dowel plugs. Dowels
are cut lengthwise which means that the ends of each dowel are end-grain.
Using plugs cut from side grain and orienting the grain of the plug so that
it runs in the same direction as the grain of the wood in the key will
result in a much more stable repair. It also minimizes the possibility of
the end grain absorbing too much moisture and causing undue stress in the
key.

Good luck.

Tom Seay
School of Music