spots on hammers & keys

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 17:44:25 -0400

To Ted Simmons

In an earlier report, you asked about spots on the hammers and keys of a
piano you inspected, which you thought might have mildew. I do not think
anyone addressed  the spots on the hammers and keys, so I will try.

I am somewhat puzzeled by those spots. My inclincation is that they might be
water spots. But the question is, how did they get there? The only other
thing I can think of is that they are stains from urine of an animal that got
in there. You might want to ask some more questions.

As far as getting rid of the satins, that might be difficult.  Stains usually
penetrate wood, and especially felt. Although sanding will get rid of the
stain on the surface, if will never get the stains in the grain and felt.

I wouldn't wory too much about the stains in the keys, however, because that
won't  hurt anything. But the stains in the hammers might cause some problems
down the road, and create some voicing problems.

Good Luck.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis