Sticking styrene flanges

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 21:28:09 +0100

Helo all,

In the UK we would automatically repin any stiff or losse flange,
without giving it a second thought.  There are very few in the UK who
have heard of centre pin lubricants and even fewer who use them.

The reamers that we use in the UK are in the main one size down centre
pin roughed up with a file and placed in a pin vice. a perfect size
reamer for the job.  about 15 years ago I did purchase a full set of 24
straight reamers and I did find them very good,  but slow, since then I
use the roughed up centre pin and quarter sized centre pins.  You will
find the majority of piano tuners in the UK use this method but only
stock half size centre pins instead of the quarter size.

The centre pin lubricant you refer to,  do you have to remove each
hammer to apply it or is there some applicating device which allows you
to keep the parts in place.

 The only experience I've had with centre pin lubricant was in the early
80's and  we found  that on all the pianos it sometimes caused more
problems than it solved,  as it being or was an alcohol based product
this tended to eat away at the animal glue,  thus if it didn't wok and
you had to recentre.  Pushing out the stiff centre pins sometimes
resulted in the bushing coming out with it.

Kind regards,

Barrie.

--
Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly