Damper Guide rail

John von Rohr jvonrohr@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 02:53:37 +0000

At 12:19 PM 7/20/96 +0000, you wrote:
>I hope my name comes through on this post, I've been having some
>problems with my IP
>I would like some suggestions on how to locate the damper guide rail
>after a new sound board has been installed. I have a couple of ideas,
>but would like to get feedback from the list. Thank You.
>Scott Rogers

Generally the guide rail sits evenly along the edge of the soundboard for
the front to back location (if not I hope you noticed how it sat before
disassembly). For side to side location I:
1  install the back action
2  set the guide rails in place, determine for each guide rail which hole is
furthest left and which is furthest right from being centered between
strings and pop those dampers in. Or sometimes in the bass I just use 1
damper if there is a particularly tight clearance somewhere.
3  After deciding on my trials I wedge someting between the strings and the
guide rail to hold it still - dowels or bits of scrap wood will do. Just
stay away from your trials and the screw holes.
4  use these trials to determine the best compromise for clearance. (use
more if you want but try to keep it simple, you won't eliminate wire bending
but you want to minimize it.
5  Drill carefully, it is easy to move the guide rail slightly if the holes
are not drilled dead on.

Good Luck,   JvR