Sticking styrene flanges

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:43:54 -0400

Ron Shiflet wrote:

 <......I'll probably go back to this piano in about a week or so. >

Ron,
When you get the opportunity to see this piano again, and, as you're reaming
and repinning those flanges, look at the removed pins with a fairly powerful
 magnifying glass to see if there are tiny felt fibers stuck to them.

There has been a lot of discussion re acids used in the manufacture of the
bushing felt not being completely washed out and then somehow reacting
chemically (?) with the pin causing pitting and actually make the pin
abrasive. Heat from friction in the bushing seems to exacerbate or even serve
as the instigator for this condition.

Don Mannino is correct in saying that this problem is not unique to Kawai,
nor is the styrene material the fault.

I have had flanges on any number of brands of pianos - mostly Asian, but it
happened to me with some Seiler pianos we have at school. Tokiwa replacement
parts (grand shanks/flanges) were notorious for this problem. It's much
better these days.

Pro-Tek usually cures the problem , at least in the short term, but sometimes
not. I have literally had flanges go from proper freedom to "squeeky tight"
right before my eyes just by rapidly shaking the flange.
Good Luck.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com