MILDEWED PIANO

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 22:41:31 -0800

 Te> Subject: Mildewed Piano

 Te> they considered as mildew was a spotted discoloration on the hammer
   Their real problem was broken hammer spring
 Te> cords.  This is a Yamaha studio and the hammers attach to the flange
 Te> with a metal clip.  Should be pretty easy to replace the strings.  I
 Te> saw no mildew, but does anyone know what the spots are on the hammer
 Te> cores and keys?  I've seen it a lot on old pianos.  This one is about
 Te> 10 years old.
 Te> Ted Simmons

 Ted,
 I don't know about the spots however I've replaced 2 sets of hammer flanges
 with cords on this model of piano recently. The first one was new enough that
 Yamaha sent the flanges out for free. The second piano was older and I had to
 pay a small amount of about $40 I think. The very good advice I got from the
 Yamaha rep. was to first travel the old hammer flanges and then replace every
 other one. Then travel the replaced flanges before replacing the other 44. If
 your remove the damper backstop rail you can get good access to the flanges
 for inserting traveling paper.

Scott Johnson
scott.e.johnson@24stex.com

___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.21 [NR]