Ivory's

Horizons Group horizons@handel.jlc.net
Mon, 08 Jul 1996 09:41:28 +0000

Jim;

I still use hot hide glue for my Ivory work. As for plastic, PVCE is
far superior to  contact cements which tend to disolve the plastic.
If you happen to get alittle PVCE on the top of the blank when
glueing, it wipes off without damaging the surface. Contact cement
will damage the surface. If your ivories are cupped, all is not lost.
I've had good luck with soaking the ivories in water and cleaning
them - then drying them slowly in a low oven. The trick is to turn
the ivories over (cupped side down) until they eventually flatten. The
time will depend on the thickness of the ivory. Most ivory heads are tapered front
to back, so be sure that there is still enough thickness to work with
once they are glued back on before going to all this trouble.

One more note on glues. The secret for good bonding is good surface
preparation. This means getting ALL the dirt and oil off before
glueing. When I redo an ivory keyboard (or even for a few keys) I remove
the coverings and clean them. Then I take off all the old glue and
gunk with a router. At this point, you can either glue the ivories on
directly, or use glue wafers - this depends  on what is needed to get
back to the original key thickness. Glueing is done with hot, but
touchable brass plates and clamps. Hide glue is the only glue I am
aware of that gives you extremely strong bonding, yet lets you steam
the ivories off without damaging them. It was good enough for the old
timers - look at how well the keyboards on historic instruments have
survived.  Incidentally, you can make your own glue wafers out of muslin
 or an old percaile bed sheet. Just soak the cloth in hide
glue, squeegee off the excess and dry the cloth on cookie trays. When
the cloth is dry, cut it to size with a paper cutter.

Doug Kirkwood, RPT
N.H Chapter, PTG