Hamburg Stnwy M - pinblock

Lorlin D. Barber ldb@commonlink.com
Sun, 07 Jul 1996 08:20:39 +0000 (GMT)

I am rebuilding a 411XXX, Hamburg Stnwy M. The pinblock installed was a real
doozy of a thickness (over 1 & 5 eights inch) and the webb fitting involved
exceptional topography (i.e. it was really uneven).

So....I have acheived a great fit to the flange and webbing. On a dry run
fitting to the case with the plate I found the block tilts quite a bit to the
front and block rides too high on the treble end and a bit low on the bass
end.  I decided to  route out some of the treble end to bring the plate down
to original position. The pinblock needs shimming to connect with the shelf
at each end, of course.

Shimming between the case shelf and pinblock ends can be tricky if the block
tilts.......that doesn't concern me. What I would like to achieve is drilling
the pinblock without having to do it in the case. Here are my thoughts on
this, I would appreciate input...........

Line the case shelves at the pinplock ends with wax paper. Mix a good epoxy
filler (like MarineTex). Position the plate with pinblock attached above the
shelf landings. Apply about a sixteenth inch of filler to the pinblock ends
and on the shelves. Lower the plate and bolt down in position.

After filler sets, remove the plate and pinblock. If all goes well the filler
should provide the correct shimming and plane of the block so that it can be
set on 5 degree angled plank at the drillpress for drilling (as long as both
ends are always on the plank).

Any more experienced approaches? Please e-mail me direct, I cannot get the
listserv subscription from Pianotech yet.

Thanks Much!

 LDB, RPT :-)