Ivory's

Jim Kinnear jkinnear@blue.georgian.net
Sun, 07 Jul 1996 09:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Les...
Thanks for the lengthy response to Mitch's query about ivories. I never thought
of naptha, and unfortunately, I am old enough to remember naptha as a commercial
fuel for stoves and heaters etc. I guess one can still buy it in any hardware
store. I have a question for you, about re-attaching the afore-mentioned loose
ivories. Years ago, when I was green behind the ears, ( hows that for a mixed
metaphor ) I too learned to my dismay, the perils of using water-based glues
....I had a call back from a customer on whose piano I had beautifully re
installed several loose ivory keytops... they looked like huge tonails, they had
curled.  Luckily, I had some salvaged heads from another piano project.
Q? What do you use to a} reglue ivories, and b} install new sets of plastic
keytops??  I have never found the latex glues very satisfactory, as they seem to
release quite easily if picked at or bumped. I have been using Lepages #4
household cement for years with pretty good results, though if you get ANY on
the surface of a plastic blank, it's history ( the blank, that is).
Suggestions??
best regards,
Jim
		{         Jim Kinnear, I.P.T.	       }
		{            KINNEAR PIANO             }
		{              SERVICES                }
		{      Collingwood, Ont, Canada        }
		{        jkinnear@georgian.net         }