Steinway Legs Needed-Ornate

TSORICH@aol.com TSORICH@aol.com
Sat, 06 Jul 1996 14:56:09 -0400

I've been looking for a set of ornate legs and/or lyre suitable for
supporting a 7 ft. 2 in. 1878 Style 2 piano (early model C)-- rosewood
finish.   (3-legged grand - not a square grand)

To date I have not had much success in locating original parts [the original
legs were massive carved cabriole (S-shaped) type and duplications are not
cost-effective because they cannot be made simply on a regular lathe (unlike
symmetrical legs); instead they have to be hand-carved or require master
template legs for use with a dupli-carver machine)].

I'm going to try another tack here (although I'd still much prefer the above
matching legs/lyre).  Does anyone have -- or know of a source for -- the
lathe-turned "fluted" legs, and/or matching lyre, that were used on similar
pianos of a slightly later vinatage (i.e. 1880's).  As I recall, these legs
also had donut-like turnings, possibly of various diameters, at different
points up and down the legs.   However, I'm not referring to the simpler leg
(similar style) that was used for the old 6 ft. 1" Steinway A's (or in
Steinway's new special edition legs for their new 'old style' 5/10" piano),
insasmuch as this latter leg does not appear to be designed for the weight of
this piano -- and isn't as attractive.

Any assistance here would be most appreciated.