Slippery Ivorys

Almida@aol.com Almida@aol.com
Sat, 06 Jul 1996 12:29:15 -0400

I need some help with my ivory keys.

These are original ivory's from a 1923 B.  The piano was rebuilt last year.
 The rebuilder said he just buffed the keys.  They did have a gloss to them.

When I clean the keys with warm water,  they are at their slickest.  As dust
and oil collect, the keys do get less slick.

Here are some of the things I've tried to decrease the slickness:

1.  Acetone: At first this left the keys so dry that they had a very
unnatural feel.  As I added my skin oil the keys became slick again.

2.  Steel Wool rubbed across the keys:  So far this seemed to work the best.
 I've lost the gloss which looked good but didn't feel good.

3.  Bleach:  Left the keys more slippery than steel wool.

I want to clean my keys but am afraid to!  The accumulation of dust and oil
has left the keys with an uneven texture from key to key but is better than
having the keys slick after cleaning them

I've not had much experience with ivory keys.  Are they supposed to be more
slick than modern plastic?  I was excited to own a piano with ivory but now
I'm in dispair.  Next to my Steinway is an electronic piano with weighted
plastic keys.  There is a nice drag on my skin when I stroke the white keys
(a very different feel from the ivory's).

Thanks for your help,
Mitch