Jumpy pins (new one on me)

Barb Barasa bbarasa@tbcnet.com
Fri, 05 Jul 1996 09:48:07 -0500

I had once attempted to tune a horrible old upright.  The owner had been so
diligent in "cleaning" it that he had not only taken out all the keys and
"washed" them on his driveway with, I think, a bucket of soapy water, but
had sprayed furniture polish across the tuning pins and "cleaned" around
them, too.  This piano had one of those cut-away plates so the wood was
exposed behind the pins, and I guess he wanted it to look good in there!
(As I recall -- altho I HAVE tried to forget -- the piano had been antiqued,
so I don't understand what he was thinking.)  The pins acted just as you
said.  I did the best I could and gave the piano its last rites.  Luckily,
he's never called me back.

Barb Barasa
Sycamore IL