Installing let-off buttons <"Installing let-off buttons"@niflheim.rutgers.edu> (Jul 2, 3:19pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 01:31:08 -0400

I have a let-off driver made to fit in a power screwdriver like Webb Philips
sells.

I turn the screws up until the button falls off and further so that just the
very tip protrudes from underneath the rail.

I have a Steinway hammer flange that has a hole drilled through the screw hole
just large enough to accept a new let-off button.

I insert the new button and fit the flange to the underside of the rail and so
that the point of the screw is in the drilled hole.  I then use the power
screwdriver to drive the screw into the button until it spins against my finger
pressure on the felt.  I remove the slaignment tool and drive the screw a
little further into the button.

This method will work for a regular let-off rail except the alignment took
needs to be flat instead of scalloped.

I have not had any trouble with loose screws yet.  If I thought I would have
trouble I would dab a TINY amount of CA glue on the threads and let it set then
screw the buttons on the slightly enlarged screws.

	Newton
	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu