The Sherman Act

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 22:34:23 -0600

>From Sy Zabrocki--RPT=09

Just what is PTG policy regarding discussing pricing. Way back in the =
1960's tuning fees were discussed frequently. I even have them =
highlighted in these old issues.=20

The Sherman Act and the Federal Trade Commission Act was enacted =
probably in the 1970's. It was my understanding we could no longer =
discuss association prices because it could be considered "price =
fixing".

I have an old pamphlet which I vaguely remember receiving from PTG. =
Maybe not. It's called "Antitrust Guide for Association Members" written =
by the American Society of Association Executives. There is no date of =
any kind.

The opening paragraph states "Trade associations are subject to strict =
scrutiny under both federal and state antitrust laws". It goes on =
stating "a price-fixing violation may be inferred from similar price =
behavior by members, even in the absence of a written or oral agreement. =
Even an informal agreement whereby one member agrees to stay out of =
another's territory will constitute a violation of the anti-trust laws.

Do these laws apply to PTG? Surely the editors are aware of this which =
probably explains why no posting of current tuning prices are ever =
discussed. What if you are not an association member? Can you then =
compare prices with your competitor? Let's hear from the PTG office.=20

Has there been some de-regulating of these laws? Wow! Just had an awful =
thought.  Am I in violation just bringing up the subject? Are there =
pianos to tune in prison?

The old PTG Journals in the early 1960's state tuning prices from $12 to =
$14.50.=20

Let's hear from someone on this topic.