Teacher's piano problem

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 20:38:32 -0800

>From: ATodd@UH.EDU

>Subject: Teacher's piano problem

>I have in my studio a 7' Baldwin, purchased about 4 years ago.
 at the initial tone there is a "pfffft" sound, which reminds
>me a little of the mechanical sound of an organ pipe.  It doesn't
>happen on each note. Could it be some type of overtone caused by the
>damper exciting the string upon playing?

Ok Avery, I don't feel it's dampers.  They can be pretty much eliminated by
holding the sustain pedal down while striking an affected key.  If the
damper wire isn't "ticking" the neighboring string, and the addition of the
sustain pedal doesn't eliminate the "chiff", proceed.

Tighten all cabinet screws EVERYWHERE YOU CAN REACH THEM.  Especially the
lid prop and the lid alignment pin and socket thingie. (technical term)
Although I don't suspect this to be the problem since it only shows up in
the double stringed bass.

Lift all bass strings at the agraffes in the affected area.  What the heck,
do all the bass strings.  Lift up on all the strings using a stringing hook,
starting at the end of the winding, and pulling slightly toward the bearing
point letting the hook slide to that point while you're pulling up.  Next,
tap all the strings down at the bearing points on the bridge.  I used a
hammer shank and a side cutter for a hammer, and tapped on all the strings
right at the point of bearing at the bridge pin.  On each string, I tap
first at that bearing point, then tap a few times inbetwixt the bridge pins
on that string traveling towards the rear/htich pin and ending with a tap at
the rear bearing point.  Then I tap all the loops at the hitch pin to make
sure they are all laying really flat against the plate.  Do this to all the
strings underneath the bass strings as well.  Being a Baldwin, the bearing
is set at the hitch pins.  Don't tap them down flat.  Leave them alone but
do tap all the strings on the bridges.  The hammer shank I used was still
usable when I was through with the last piano I did this to.  That should be
an indication of how little pressure it takes to seat that string to the
bridge and the bridge pin.

If this doesn't fix the problem, theres a loose metal junction box behind
the sheet rock in the wall and they'll need to replace the entire house at a
tremendous expense, increasing the property value in the neighborhood making
all the neighbors mad because their taxes went up.  This will lead to people
leaving their houses empty because they can't sell them and drug dealers
will move into the neighborhood ruining the feeling of family in the area
and you will be the blame.   It's best to leave this alone BOY!!

never mind..........

Lar

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                     phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
                              http://pacifier.com/~larryf/homepage.html
   .......and the piano's keyboard smiled at me and said, "I dare you to
tune me!"