Teacher's piano problem - Update

Kwkeys@aol.com Kwkeys@aol.com
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 23:22:45 -0500

>Is it in the bichord (2 strings) section only, single string
>> only, or both?
>
>Bichord section only.
>
>Does the sound happen consistently, every time you play the
>> note, or is just every now and then? Do you hear it only on soft blows or
>> only on loud, or any kind of blow?
>
>Consistently, every time the note is played, at any volume, although
>the "organ pipe" quality is most noticeable (and objectionable) when
>played softly).

I suspect that the sides of the bi-chord dampers need a moderate ironing to
eliminate any friction as the dampers pick up off the string (since this
noise is heard more readily during soft playing and is heard only on the
bi-chord dampers). Take care not to iron enough to cause a damper felt
rattle, though. If over ironed it can be reversed by needling. I would also
suggest that the amount of damper felt hanging under the string in the "at
rest" position be inspected and trimmed to approximately 1/32" below the
underside string level. This can sometimes aggravate a "pffftt" (sp?) sound.

Hope this helps. If not call me at 1/800-876-2976 between 7 AM and 3:30 PM
central. We'll arrange service if necessary for the owner. Thanks.

Kent Webb / Tech Service Manager / Baldwin Piano Co.