Cracked plates

Hrschm@aol.com Hrschm@aol.com
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:01:44 -0500

>Eric,
>   I once worked for the Los Angeles School district and went to tune your
>basic Hamilton Studio. Before I started tuning I was just starting to play
>the piano and depressed the damper pedal and heard a very unusual clunking
>type noise and could almost feel something in the pedal but looking down on
>top of the dampers I couldn't see anything so I pulled the action and saw a
>crack in the plate strut between the high tenor and low treble. The strut
was
>bowing out enough to make the damper lifter rod hit the plate where there is
>a break between the dampers. Ever since then I do try the pedals before I
>tune.

 Eureka!   I work at a small college that has all Baldwin Hamiltons in their
practice rooms and there are at least three pianos that have this exact
problem you describe in which the pedal rod is running into the plate. I have
not thought to look for a cracked plate but I knew either the action had
shifted colser to the plate or the plate had moved closer to the action .
 Also, there is no downbering especially in the tenor so they sound terrible.
Now I can go look for the cracks.  This is a such a great resource for
information!

    Russell Schmidt R.P.T.    Lexington Ky.