:Scraping Hamilton jacks/butts

PianoGalry@aol.com PianoGalry@aol.com
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 13:55:27 -0500

RE: It was used in place of leather on the butts, i.e. the butt catcher and
    butt skin.

I've encountered this problem on numerous used Baldwin's going through the
store here.  So far, I've had success by first cleaning the area with 8 to 1
Naptha/Mineral Oil shot into the felt with a needle to flush out graphite
etc.  I'm not sure how much if any effect this actually has on this material,
but it does work on leather so I use it here too.  After drying I then apply
One-Puff heavily with a brush and really work it in.  It diminishes the noise
considerably and has worked for me so far, however, I don't know how long
this treatment will last.  I would agree that replacement is the only
fool-proof method, but this method does cut down the time considerably.
   Anyone else have experience using this method?  Thoughts and comments
about its longevity would be welcomed.

Regards,
Bill Jeffreys
Denton Piano Gallery,