New Bridge Pins

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 08:31:18 -0500

Terry,
Why file them at all? Many new instruments are being manufactured with
rounded bridge pins. I stopped filing pins years ago. I was always concerned
that the heat generated by filing or grinding would loosen my new pins, also
the sheer forces of the file enlarging the holes.

Use the 1"  replacement pins of the proper dia.( make sure that the hole is
drilled to the proper depth. Bridge pins should be seated firmly at the
bottom, not floating) . Use a nail set to fine tune the up and down
alignment. They look great!

BTW, I'm still looking for a source for reasonably priced nickle plated
bridge pins (cosmetic reasons) .Most of the manufactures I've contacted are
charging 15c APIECE.  Why are nickle plated pins SO much more expensive than
copper plated ones?

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com