The metal tuning pin insert shims.

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 18:30:03 -0700

At 01:04 PM 13/02/96 -0700, Vince wrote:

>> be loosing its effect, or if someone has oiled the tuning pins to ease the
>> rust and the oil has worked its way into the pin block and made a few of

Yuck! In the same vein I can almost hear someone saying "Ya' know, if ya'
spray that WD-40 on them suckers, they'd be easier to turn!"  <grin>

>> the pins really jumpy, would an alternative and reasonable fix be to insert
>> the metal inserts into the tuning pin hole and then reinsert the tuning pin
>> or one of one size smaller?

I've seen many pianos with these (bronze?) inserts, and even inherited some
of the bushings from my grandfather. They are a last resort to save junk
pianos from being catapult fodder in my opinion.

>If all else fails, drill out the hole to take a pinblock plug (buy
>falconwood plugs or make your own), and redrill.

Part # 000319 in the Steinway parts catalogue is a dozen wrestplank plugs if
anyone's interested. I would assume since this is a "factory" part that
repair using a plug is the suggested route. I would also assume that since a
4-0 is the largest pin their parts dept carries that if a larger size is
needed the block should be plugged rather than a 5-0 or (shudder) 6-0 pin
installed.

While I'm making a whole pile of assumptions, I would also assume there is a
point of diminishing returns as far as plugging a block is concerned. If
practically the only thing holding a block together are the screws, a couple
of hundred plugs and a half-litre or so of glue will it be relatively
stable? While I'm on the subject of glue, which is best: yellow glue, hot
hide, epoxy or another alternative??

When rebuilding that old upright, should plugs be inserted into every hole
and then redrilled, and would that help in the long run? Many of us don't
have the facilities or skills to replace upright pinblocks (or grand
pinblocks for that matter), but plugging and drilling might not be that
difficult.

I'm curious if any of the rebuilders run into original pinblocks which may
have been plugged in the factory and if so, how well they've held up over time.

                John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com