commercial HCS

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:07:09 -0500 (EST)

--- Paul Dempsey wrote:
 it seems to me that having a special,controled room might have problems
of its own.

If it is stabalized in the room, what happens when it is rolled onto a dry or
damp stage for a recital or concert? Certainly  the piano would immediatley
begin to become unstable again as it either drys out or starts soaking it up.
That might create performance problems,extra work,etc. Likewise, after the
performance and the piano is returned to its storage area it would change
again.
--- end of quoted material ---

Thanks, Paul, that point is well-taken.  That is why I mentioned that I intend
to also install a DC system under the soundboard, probably with three
reservoirs and a number of rods.  The DC system should act like a buffer as it
adjusts between the two spaces, and should prevent sudden changes in the board.
Unless the piano is away from its storage space for more than a day or two, I
doubt there would be a problem.

  Also, my understanding from previous posts on the subject is that room
climate control systems are limited in what they can do, under severe outside
conditions.  For instance, here in New Hampshire it commonly goes below zero in
the winter.  Room or building humidifiers are designed to cut off at a lower RH
so that condensation doesn't happen in the walls.  That means there will be
less of an extreme in humidity between the climate-controlled studio and the
uncontrolled concert hall (perhaps 15% difference).

Does anyone else have direct experience with this kind of storage arrangement?
All comments appreciated.

Danny Dover,RPT
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH