pitch raising the bass

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 23:58:11 -0600

Parts of Fred Yonley's post:
>You  hear about pitch raising in regard to the midrange on up, but one does
>not hear much about pitch raising the bass...
>...If the mid on up is about 30 cents low, I tune to 10 cents sharp on the
>first pass.
>...In other words the bass drops about 1/2 as much as the rest of the piano...
>...I am not totally clear on all the mechanics involved.

Fred,
I have noticed for a long time now the bass section requires a different
tactic than the rest of the piano when pitch raising.  On the rest of the
sections the amount of overpull varies between 1/3 and 1/4 the measured
amount.  However, there is one other factor which does alter these numbers
for me...the name, model, and size of the piano.

And then after all is said and done, a maverick piano comes along and sets
its own course of response completely contrary to anything I know.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee