soundboard shims & glue

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 21:13:11 -0700

>. I don't see this function as secondary to the crowning
>fuction of ribs.  Ribs, it seems to me perform a series of interalated tasks
>that integrate nicely to allow boards to do what they do...
>
>John W. McKone, RPT
>Operations Manager
>Haugen's Pianos
>Twin Cities

Agreed. Perhaps I should have said "in addition to" rather than secondary,
as the functions of soundboard crown and sound propagation are definitely
interrelated. The grain on the ribs runs perpendicular to the grain of the
soundboard, allowing vibration to be distributed across the grain of the
spruce using the ribs as an intermediary.

BTW, today, I just completed a repair on a 52" upright Quidoz (Quebec,
Canada) 1925 upright using the G-2 epoxy method, the results were a near
invisible repair.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell
C.A.P.T.