geometry/friction

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 15:30:10 -0500 (EST)

     If it's imagination, it's not *only* yours, Dennis, I can't prove
     it, but things do seem to become lube junkies after initial
     application.

     Even my house air conditioner blower motor is the same way.
     Yikes! Brrrr. I don't believe I went there for a parallel.

     I learned a lot about lubrication from the humorous ramblings of
     John Ford. He was using the keyframe spring contact point as an
     example, and how we add our 'stuff' to the stuff that was already
     there. This is also where I got my notions about lubricant
     incompatibility, and how two dissimilar lubes can cause a squeak,
     independent of the one we're trying to correct. Ford called this
     "greasin' the grease". In his keyframe example, he simply removed
     all the various layers of gunk, and the squeak went away. This
     innocent example has worked for me many times since then.

     Jim Harvey/RPT
BTW, I don't personally get carried away with the lubricant either, and
argee with your suggestions, but I do favor slightly lower strike weights.
Is it just my imagination, or does it seem that once you start using it on
a set, you will forever be needing it?

Dennis Johnson