Concert tuning stability fuse

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 15:28:28 -0500 (EST)

--- You wrote:
      Let me say first that I occasionally use a lubricant at the front
bearing points in pianos 1) I've tuned before and had difficulty getting
strings to render or 2) where rust and previously broken strings are
evident. My lubricant of choice at this time is ProTek CPL,
--- end of quoted material ---

I have also had considerable success with protek on the front bearing points
including, as Ken Sloane suggested awhile ago, the felt strip that the strings
slide across on most grands.  I use a small wedge of hammer felt stuck on a
thin dowel.  I have done repeated applications over the past two years on all
the pianos here at Dartmouth, including a number of Steinway verticals.  There
has been a significant improvement in stability and ease of tuning.

Danny Dover, RPT
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH