Mason & Hamlin

Dennis Johnson djohn@skypoint.com
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 22:40:23 -0600

>Dennis,
>As far as I know, M&H never had small knuckle/low leverage parts.
>They always have been larger knuckle/higher leverage, although the
>pre 1930 instruments did have a slightly smaller knuckle, it never
>was like the old Steinway ones.  And again, was always higher
>leverage.

___________

Thank you Vince. This is beginning to all make sense to me now. In order
for David to have developed the problem he described with his let off
rails, he had to significantly decrease accerlation. This happened when the
capstans were moved in. So, Mason & Hamlin had a very interesting design
IMO, very high ratio capstan placment combined with low ratio knuckle
placement. The capstans were so far out that they still ended up with the
high ratio, shallow dip actions they were famous for, while using full
leverage shanks!

Looking back, I think that I must have auotmatically presumed low leverage
shanks when I noticed the smaller knuckles.

Dennis Johnson
djohn@skypoint.com