Yamaha flanges (was hammer butt springs)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 15:10:42 -0500

Jim,
      Get yourself one of the tools called a butt spacer from Apsco or
Schaff.  It looks like a super thin very broad screw driver blade.
      With a flashlight determine if a pin has walked out and if so toward
when side.  Gently move the adjacent flange aside to get the blade on the end
of the pin and then gently pushit back into position.  Continue until all pins
have been centered in their flanges.
      This is all done before tightneing screws and without removing any
flanges except that one that the pin has shoved out the bushing.
      I have had to do this on about 50 Yamahas here at Rutgers.
      I think I ruined about four flanges which I replaced with new ones and
some I rebushed.
      This is not an easy operation for me, I have to hold a flashlight,
telescope and butt spacer in one hand and scretch my head with the other.
            Newton
            nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu