Accu-Tweaker anomoly

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Mon, 05 Feb 1996 09:20:42 -0500 (EST)

     Ah, the A5 and A#5 was why I was reluctant to post the question
     -- I wasn't sure it was always B5.

     I've had instances where badly string-cut hammers would cause the
     same problem. Chipping the strings has usually been a
     satisfactory workaround in those cases. It seems that chipping
     would work in this case, that is, give the instrument more
     partial-heavies to "chew on". Oh well, can't have everything all
     the time.

     Thanks for this information, Ron. Now I won't worry about fixing
     something that isn't broken!

     Jim Harvey/RPT
>      I've noticed that the LED's on my Accu-Tuner are reluctant to
>      "light up" on a certain note. I'm not talking about the
>      rotational pattern; rather, the lights don't come on at all.
>      Except for the note/octave LCD display, you'd think the machine
>      had been turned off!
>

>      I'm now beginning to think it's the same note, B5, and that it
>      happens regardless of what tuning page I'm on, and regardless of
>      the piano being tuned.

I have noticed this also and it is mainly B5.  I think the reason it
is hard to get a reading is that it is reading a higher partial than
the C6 next to it.  I think that the upper partials begin to get weak
in the treble and makes it hard to get a reading.  By moving the SAT
I can usually get a better reading for that note.  It is sometimes
the A and A#5 as well.