Petrof

C. Mike Swendsen swendsec@cadvision.com
Fri, 02 Feb 1996 20:09:18 -0700

At 04:06 PM 2/2/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Speaking of Petrofs and Samicks, I have encountered several Petrofs with
>a pedal squeak coming from where the damper rod is attached to the pivot
>behind the damper levers.  On one such piano, I tried spraying teflon
>lubricant into the felt bushing of the offending part, but it didn't
>last.  I suspect I'm looking at a big job to remove the three or four
>pivot points, rebush them, and then reinstall them.  I'm not even sure if
>that will cure the problem.  Any ideas?
>
>Laurence Beach
>Vancouver BC
>Canada

Laurence:
The problem on the Petrof upright sustain pedal is usually not the pivot
bushings or the damper lifting rod.  Usually it is the contact point between
the damper lift rod and the verticle pedal actuation rod.  The damper lift
lever arm needs polishing and the felt pad should be replaced with better
felt that has no sizing in it.   And when gluing the felt on, don't use too
much glue.  Otherwise the glue will creep through the felt and cause the
squeak again.

Squeaks in the damper pivots are usually due to someone trying to lubricate
them, with a lubricant that allows dirt to enter and stay in the bushing.
The same can be said for the damper lift rod and lift lever interface.  In
which, case a good cleaning with something like dry cleaning fluid usually
corrects the problem.

Mike Swendsen
Calgary, Alberta
Canada>