pin dope

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 23:45:40 -0600

>...Also, after one of your suggestions, I tried drilling a very small hole thru
>tuning pin bushings on one budget grand candidate and must admit that it is
>slow & tough going. I would appreciate any input.
>
>Thanks a million!
>
>Richard Boyington
>Piano Technical Coodinator
>Amro Music Stores, Inc.
>Memphis, Tenn.

Richard,
Turning a grand piano upside down is the easiest way to apply pin block
restorer if it has tuning pin bushing inserts.  Drilling a hole is a method
that I have only done once in eighteen for an upright type piano that had
tuning pin bushing inserts which sometimes can block the flow of the
restorer solution.

On a grand remove the action and the top lid, have a couple of padded,
short pieces of 2' x 4' to set the piano rim on when turning the piano
over, place protective towel on the floor under the tuning pins to catch
any potential leakage of solution, follow directions on the pin block
restorer bottle.

When turning piano back over to its normal position, you should exercise
caution that any restorer that did not soak into the pin block does not
drip onto the keybed or the action.  Be inventive.  Replace top cover and
action and start tuning.  Each piano responds in its own way, and time is
always a factor as to effectiveness of treatment.

This should get you started.  Experience will be your ultimate teacher.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma