Pianos in Sunlight

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 01:52:30 -0400

Ken Burton posted:
>>I have two families with grand pianos which sit
in direct sunlight from south windows...Today, I measured 91.5 Fahrenheit and
24% RH in the sun and 78 F
with 34% RH in the shade...Will there be any
long-term damage to these pianos?  Your comments appreciated.<<

Dear Ken,

I don't know about the particular style windows you have here, but in my
opinion, direct sunlight over a period of time will discolor the finish.  And
with the difference of temperature and humidity you mentioned, somewhere in
the spectrum of eternity, warping to some degree is bound to occur.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731