Pianos in Sunlight

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 14:39:01 -0600 (MDT)

      Among my clients, I have two families with grand pianos which sit
in direct sunlight from south windows. However, in both instances, the
windows contain glass which filters out most of the heat. The part of the
piano in the sun feels almost as cool as the shaded part.
      Today, I measured 91.5 Fahrenheit and 24% RH in the sun and 78 F
with 34% RH in the shade. And the tuning stays quite well from one year
to the next.
      Does anyone have experience with these windows? Will there be any
long-term damage to these pianos? Your comments appreciated.

      Ken Burton
      "Doctor Piano"
     Calgary, Alberta