computer as tool

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 02:54:20 -0400

Side comment - It amazes me that as we communicate through computers,
everytime someone asks a computer question we rarely get a concise, well
thought out answer to the question. Please don't take personally :) I guess
it also means that the computing world hasn't got the
one-answer-for-everybody ultimate do-it-all software done yet. Except the Mac
Fanatics who think Apple's got it.

Bob:

Your main question seems to be about a scheduling program, and though I have
seen a couple of good ones, I still like a Day-Timer(TM) month at a glance
desk calendar. It's just a lot easier to see where the holes are, with our
own personal cryptic notes about areas and length of jobs.

I've seen Dean's Program, and if it fits your needs, I think he's done an
amazing program. Nobody does things exactly the same, so you'll have to
decide to do it his way. I find pleasure in tinkering with my own database,
and so do it my own way.

If you've got a Windows (TM) machine, Microsoft Office (TM) does everything
on a very professional level, and if you get Office Professional (TM) it
comes with the Access (TM) database program, which can read in a myriad of
database types. After importing, you can modify it a bunch of different ways.
I have a custom designed print-out that is cut and folded to fit in my
Day-Timer (TM) pocket version, a 4x6 print-out for reminder cards
The new Windows95 (TM) version of Office (TM) includes Schedule+ (TM). I want
to give it a try, too. It ought to be able to tie in to my database directly.

Dave Stocker
Firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA

WARNING! Politically incorrect humor approaching!

Q. What weighs 150 lbs and cooks in one hour?     A. Shannon Faulkner.