CAUT newsletter position

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:37:56 -0500

        The College and University Technicians Committee is now accepting
inquiries for a new position as assistant newsletter editor. Many of you
are probably wondering if and when the next issue of our famous C&U
newsletter will ever make print, so I wish you all to know that we are
quickly gathering momentum. However, an assistant editor at this time would
provide just the extra leverage needed to accelerate this process
impressively (hows that for a dialectic?).

        Tom McNeil, veteran committee member and former chair, has agreed
to edit our newsletter and has been working towards the release of a fall
issue. This new position is an excellent opportunity for someone to get a
little more involved with the CAUT program and work directly with an
experienced charter committee member. We all know that newsletter editing
can be a significant time consuming responsibility. That is why we are
splitting this job. Not only will we as a group have a backup editing
resource and the editing team a little less stress, but also you as new
assistant editor will be able to smoothly condition yourself to becoming
our future editor, if you wish.

        Aside from the usual literary abilities associated with, and
expected from editors, it would be a special bonus if this person were to
have some knowledge or special interest in the technical aspects of both
the internet and WWW. It is impossible to say where the new technology will
take us, but it is certain that we will adapt and grow with it. More on
that later.

        I believe that we all have come to value highly the CAUT Newsletter
and share a vested interest in its continued development. It is a
newsletter which fills a niche not really suited to the PTG Journal or to
the Pianotech list, yet is vital to many, if not a majority of technicians.
We serve in the interest of all technicians to the degree that you do some
institutional work (or would like to) and also to the extent that this
service overlaps with non-institutional piano service. Subscriptions have
been steadily growing.

        We do not deny that the monetary compensation is indeed modest, but
I will propose doubling the salary for next year to make up for lost
raises.

        Please contact me or Tom McNeil directly for any more information.
The position may start immediately!

Dennis Johnson, chair
johnsond@stolaf.edu