concert tuning

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 18:42:56 -0500 (CDT)

I certainly agree with Richard about having a life outside the school.
Here at SMU we have a $1,000,000 Fisk pipe organ in our large recital
hall.  Naturally the organ students think that is simply a practice room
for them.  Getting time in there is nearly impossible.  For the past
several years I have had the facilities office reserve the time before
8:00AM for tuning.  It's understood by the organists that if I don't need
that time they can practice, but I have the right to ask them to quit
until 8:00.  I look over the performance schedule and tune on the days
where there is a faculty or guest artist recital and also when the piano
is the primary or solo instrument.  For voice recitals or other
instruments only being accompanied by piano I don't unless absolutely
necessary.  I seldom go back in the evening. (I live 15 miles away up the
bussiest highway in Dallas.)

The pianos stay tuned remarkably well as the humidity is controlled
because of the high dollar organ.  Lets face it, we don't make enough
money (at least I don't) to spend our lives at the school.

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas