computer as tool

DefTuner@aol.com DefTuner@aol.com
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 12:03:25 -0400

After filing (and losing) thousands of paper telephone message slips,  trying
to fashion my own database program, on a Commodore 64 no less!!, and
scheduling by hand in a loose leaf calendar book, I thought there must be a
better way.  I remebered seeing a couple of ads in the PTG journal for
software programs custom tailored and developed by piano techs.  I sent away
for some demos and tried to get them to run on an old IBM XT donated
(dumped?) to me by my wifes cousin.  Well I had little success with  the old
IBM dinosaur.  Saved my pennies and bought a 486 machine and software by a
piano tech named Dean Reyburn called "Piano Service Manager" and have been
quite pleased.  It almost makes being organized fun!  I really suggest you
check it out and get a demo disk which lets you enter up to 10 clients to let
you get a feel fot it.
It's a little pricey as software goes; $300.  Unless your deft at tailoring
existing database programs it's worth it. The only drawback is that it is
written for DOS which although can be run through Windows, will not be able
to use all of Windows features. I have been able to use PSM's files for doing
form letters and reminder cards using MS Works for Windows, however.

In regard to transfering your existing files, Dean claims he might be able to
do it for you.  I simply started transferring existing customers to PSM as
they came due for tuning.
Good luck. His Phone # is 616-696-0500 after 7PM EST or any time Monday.

David Denison RPT
Long Island, NY