crank call; the real answer

TELE5@Jetson.UH.EDU TELE5@Jetson.UH.EDU
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 14:28:34 -0500 (CDT)

These calls are an imitation of "The Jerky Boys."  "The Jerky Boys" are a
couple of guys from New York that do prank calls and release them on CD.
They have two albums and even did a movie earlier this year.  On their first
CD they called a piano tuner and wanted him to come out to get the caller's
rotwieller out of his piano.  The tuner is like, "I am not on call, like a
doctor."  And the caller is like, "Aw come on. You gotta help me out.  I
don't know nothin' about this tunin' shit."  If you go to Blockbuster Music
you can listen to it.  It'll just be listed under "Jerky Boys" in the
comedy section.

For about a year after this CD was released I had 7 or 8 kids call and even
a few adults imitating this.  Since I had already heard the CD, and even a
bootleg tape before the CD came out, I would reply with some other catch
phrase from the CD like, "Look Jerky, I don't need to talk to you," or
"I'm very proud of you," and they sit there in disbelief wondering what to
do.

And they usually try to do a New York accent like the guys on the CD, but
they usually suck, so that is another good tipoff that it's not a real call.

Scott Hunter
tele5@jetson.uh.edu
Tune America, Houston, TX.