Help

BILL NAGEL BILL.NAGEL@internetMCI.COM
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:47:01 -0500

-- [ From: BILL NAGEL * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Dear People:
      I found your names on the Internet.  I am in Internet newbe, and a wanabe
piano technician.  I hope these two facts don't turn you off because I need
some help, and I am using this form letter to see if anybody is willing to
assist me.  I have 4 Grand Pianos with AMPICO Reproducing Player
Mechanisms.  I have restored two of the player systems, refinished the
piano cases, regulated the actions, replaced/restored ivory, polished the
brass, etc.  These two pianos contain AMPICO Model A player mechanisms, and
play very well.
      I am reasonably good at, let's say minor action regulation.  I have
attempted voicing because a few notes on these pianos are soft, and a few
are loud, but I feel I have not done the best that I could do with a little
help and instruction.  I also need to learn to replace strings and properly
repair bridges, and replace tuning pins.  i.e. the use of oversize pins,
epoxy, (for the tuning pin holes), and so on.  I tune these pianos by using
an electronic tuner with a simple D'Arsonval meter by Borg, and by ear.  I
am having extreme difficulty obtaining unison tuning in some notes on both
pianos.  I know that some of the cause is loose pins, but lack the
experience and knowledge to know exactly what the best solution is for this
condition.  I also need some tips on tuning so that I can do a better job.
      I have owned these pianos for about 15 years and have enjoyed working on
them as a hobby over the years.  I also enjoy collecting and playing the
artistry of people like Gershwin and "The Rock", for friends and neighbors.
 The reason I am now looking for help in the areas mentioned above after 15
years, is because I recently purchased 2 unrestored Model "B" AMPICO
Reproducer Pianos.  These machines were and are considered to be the finest
reproducing player mechanisms ever built.  They are also very rare and hard
to find.  Therefore, before I begin rebuilding them I need to know what/how
about the best ways to bring the basic piano up to the highest possible
performance levels.  I have rebuilt many player mechanisms and feel
reasonably comfortable rebuilding the Model B mechanism even though I have
no experience with the Model B.
      By now you will be curious about what pianos these player mechanisms are
installed in.  Here is the list:
      Chickering AMPICO  Model A, built in 1926       Restored and working
      Fisher AMPICO  Model A, built in 1928           Restored and working
      Marshal & Wendel AMPICO Model B, build in 1932  Unrestored
      Chickering AMPICO Model B, built in 1936 with special all walnut case
construction and  Burle Walnut case veneer.     Unrestored
      Cable Nelson standard 88 note upright player, also Burle Walnut   Player
restored, not refinished

      The Model B's deserve restoration to the highest degree possible.  This is
where I need information to study before I touch anything.  Your help and
support will be very much appreciated by myself and the future owners of
these pianos, as they will most certainly outlast me!!!

My addresses:

William A. Nagel
11128 Beacon Way
Lusby MD, 20657
410 326 2551 Week ends (the pianos are located here)
301 774 6798 Week day evenings
Internet        Bill.nagel@internetmci.com
------- FORWARD, End of original message -------