Shop-made punchings

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:14:33 -0400 (EDT)

Paul and Tom,  I just noticed your reference to PPCo.'s punches.  First,
PPCo. is the Co. which has been substituting the Chinese punch sets in
place of the well-made sets, so I advise against their punches.  In
looking through an inventory, I noticed that Sargent-Welch of Skokie,
Ill. produced (now out of production) model S-23207, 1/4 hp motorized
cork/stopper borer machine which came with many sizes of stainless steel
cutters.  Most Chem. Depts. should have one sitting around.  If you have
a Chem. (or Physics) dept. on your campus, you might obtain the S-23207
from the stockroom manager.  The thin-wall, sharp, high speed rotating
bores are much faster and make a cleaner hole than any arch punch.  As
for PPCo., Durrell sent me the Chinese set which doesn't work well.  All
for now.

Fred Scoles, scoles@oswego.edu