hammer butt springs

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 08:17:58 -0400

Bob,

Jim Harvey's reply sets down the basic procedure that I use when I have to
take on this somewhat monotonous job.  However, there is one modification
that I have come u pwith that seems to make the job easier.  The usual
instructions for this job include a line like "remove the springs from the
rail."  When I first sat down at the bench with a rail removed from the
action, this caused quite a bit of head scratching.

In answer to the problem, I came up with a very simple little tool that you
can make up from scrap parts that I'm afraid will be a little difficult to
describe using only text.  (In other word's, if it doesn't make sense, yell
at me until it does.)  This tool is made up of two parts often found in the
scrap bin: an old bass grand hammer and a bridle wire.
1. Cut off the arced tail of the hammer to make a comfortable tool handle.

2. Hammer the coil of the bridle wire until the wires are pressed together to
support the tip.

3. Sharpen the tip so that it will fit into the slot as a spring tail
remover.

4. Drill a hole in the hammer moulding and epoxy the wire into the hole.

Now you have an efficient, comfortable, cheap and easy to build tool for
getting the spring tail out of the kerf.

Hope this is of some use.  Of course, as has been noted, a new spring rail is
much quicker if you can find one to fit.

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College
Gilreath@aol.com