Plate bolts

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 07:51:55 -0700

Gordon,

It is good to hear you tighten bolts and screws on a regular basis.
I wish I had made it more of a habit in my earlier years.  The
current trend I see in many grands is installation of  smaller
lag bolts than I feel comfortable with tightening down forcefully  The
S&S lag bolt is 4 1/2 inches long by 7/16 diameter with a 5/8 head. I
know it is not going to snap when tightening using a  1/2 inch drive
socket arrangement with a 12 inch extension.

The plates installed on dowels are always candidates for tightening.
What appears to be a bass bridge buzzing can many times be a loose
dowel which is a real bonus when fixed by just cranking down on
the bolts.  When rebuilding Steinway pianos it is adviseable to
replace the lag bolts with current ones.  The socket always fits.

I ran into the same problem Barbara had once and it was a nightmare.
The broken piece eventually come out, the hole doweled and re-drilled.
If adversity builds character then that experience had to make me
a  patient technician.

Brent Fischer
Arizona State

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU