hammer butt springs

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 14:44:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, Bob Simmons wrote:

> This may be "old-hat" to most of you, but (believe it or not) I've never
> had occassion to replace a set of hammer butt springs. I have that occasion
> now, and would sure appreciate any pointers you might offer on gettin'
> those little wire thingees into that there stick thing (or do they grow
> that way?). Seriously, please, any tricks I need to know?
>
> Bob Simmons, RPT

Hi, Bob!

This may be a sacrilege or at least no-kosher to the older beards, but,
for years (Yes, furry ears) I have used the so-called _Hammer Rail Repair
Springs_ supplied by Schaff.  You just merrily break off the old springs
and screw these to the spring rail with their own little flange (included).
Even screws are supplied!  I have never had a complaint.  On the other
hand, some tooners (and some tooners are anything but handsome) apparently
do not realize the function of these springs.  Quite often when I tune a
piano for the first time I will find the springs every which way but on the
hammer butts.

I don't remember, so I won't slam, brands, but I have found prctically new
pianos with springs so brittle they break at a touch.  Situations like this
have been the only time I recommended replacing an entire set.

Hope this helps!
BTW except for once instance:   (...)=bad puns!  As I said to someone
else, I haven't yet seen a sideways (8-o) (;-}) that adequately signifies
"tongue-in-cheek"!

Gordon Wilson
Keyboard Studio
Urbana, Illinois