humidity

DAVander@aol.com DAVander@aol.com
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:44:59 -0400

In a message dated August 29, 1995  (Way back in the dark ages!) Allen Leigh
wrote:

>Paul Dempsey just commented about high humidity in his area, and his
>comment reminded me of a question to ask.
>
>What do you tuners do about tuning in summer months, knowing that the piano
>will probably go out of tune during the fall?  Do you warn your customers
>about the change in the fall?  Do you postpone summer tunings and pick them
>up in the fall?  I'm thinking about people who have their piano tuned only
>once a year, and I'm concerned about doing summer tunings, knowing that the
>fall change in humidity will change the tuning.
>
>a related question: How much are stable tunings affected by humidity
changes?

>Any and all responses will be appreciated!
>
>/allen
>a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu

Dear Allen,

I had a lot of the same questions earlier this year.  There are two JOURNAL
articles you should read to give you more info.  If you can control the
humidity in the piano, the tuning will be MUCH more stable.

The February 1995 JOURNAL has an article by Del Fandrich about "Tuning
Stability in Pianos" that helped me a lot.

Also, the March 1995 JOURNAL has two articles that are useful.  Ruth Brown
wrote "Humidity Control:  The State of the Art", and Robert Mair wrote "The
Dampp-Chaser Approach to Humidity Control for Pianos."

These articles say everything much better than I could!

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
davander@aol.com
Joplin, MO