Used Piano, Evaluation of

PianoBook@aol.com PianoBook@aol.com
Sun, 10 Sep 1995 22:47:09 -0400

Concerning the value of a 23-year old Yamaha C3, I can't say from a practical
(that is, experienced) viewpoint.  But from a theoretical one, using Steve
Brady's depreciation schedule printed in The Piano Book, the piano would be
worth about 38% of the price of a new one today.  The problem is figuring out
the price of a new one today since prices vary enormously from dealer to
dealer and customer to customer.  The latest "list price" shown in the Ancott
directory (which is probably now a little out of date; a new one will be out
next month) is $22,990 for a satin ebony model.  However, I wouldn't be
surprised if you could find a dealer to sell one for $16,000.  Given the
latter figure and the depreciation percentage, your piano would be worth
about $6,000.  If you were to use a higher figure for the new one, say
$19,000, your piano would be worth about $7,200.  These are only guidelines,
of course, but may give you some help.

Larry Fine