Pre-hung hammers

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 09 Sep 1995 09:21:17 -0500 (CDT)

Keith,

   I have considered using pre-hung hammers, but I've been concerned about
the accuracy of the strike point, especially in the high treble. Did you have
any problem there? I've always been told that most American brands are not
"that" consistent in manufacture. In other words, the ideal strike point could
vary "a silly millimeter" from piano to piano. Of course, a few hammers could
always be reglued without too much trouble if that were the case. What are
your thoughts on this.
   With so many pianos to take care of, it would sure be a time saver,
especially if one needed to replace many sets of hammers. The vast majority
of our pianos are at that position.
   Because he is not expecting to have enough money to replace 105 or so
pianos, plus the 2, maybe 3 more concert grands we will need, plus additional
rooms of all types, I'
have been asked to start doing major/minor rebuilding work, especially on the
20 Steinway L's we have: restringing, dampers, hammers, etc. It seems like
that would save me a good bit of time. Comments?

Thanks,
Avery Todd
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu