Many Topics

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Thu, 07 Sep 1995 14:24:02 -0400

Dear Contributors to bulk tuning,

I certainly appreciate the additional comments on behalf of Mr. West's
statements concerning bulk tuning.  I have taken to heart the support you
have given to *not* doing tunings at the beginning of each semester.

I indicated in my original post, "when scheduling permits" as to
accomplishing bulk tunings.  For some reason I have determined that
July/August and December/January were the times that best fit the concept of
"when scheduling permits".  For the most part I have complete access to the
pianos with minimum scheduling.

And is true that pitch lowering and pitch raising does occur during these
times pretty much like what has been discussed.  For some reason, however,
 there has not been any comments come my direction from the faculty or
student body about any radical shifts that you have mentioned in the first
few weeks after school starts.  And since I am not on location on a daily
basis, I rely greatly on feedback from the Chair of the Piano Department.

The feedback I do receive is usually prior to juries for the particular
pianos that will be used in that process, and occasionally there are some
teachers who can't last the distance of a semester, which is understandable.

Approximately 35% of these pianos do have Dampp-Chaser systems which take
care of any large swings in pitch.  More are being installed each year as
budget permits.

I will probably inquire gradually as to the feelings of the faculty what
their preference is: fresher at the beginning or fresher towards the end,
knowing that optimally, fresher at both times would be best.

Thank you for the continuing education.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter