many topics

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Thu, 07 Sep 1995 02:21:50 -0400

Concerning criticisms of Richard West's "bulk tuning" procedure, and the
necessity of tuning right at the beginning of the semester: I tend to agree
with RIchard and with Barbara Richmond. I think we should remember that
humidity conditions are different around the country, and even in different
buildings. In Central California, it is hot and dry more or less from April
to late September, when it turns cool and wet. Because of the weather, which
is moderate except for the summer, some of our Music buildings are not air
conditioned. A tuning done at the beginning of September will last about two
or three weeks, then be out of tune for the rest of the semester, which is no
service to anybody.

As one example, suppose the tuner has a budget for only two tunings per year,
and the piano, if tuned in the dry season, would go up say 20 cents in the
wet season. Is it better to tune it back down 20 cents in the wet season,
then back up 20 in the summer, etc. ? Given these choices, I would rather
tune it at 440 at the moderate change-of-season times, and let it go up 10
and down 10. Some swing is unavoidable, but the average swing is half as
much, the tuning is easier because it is done as it passes through the
middle, and less stress is done to the pinblock, etc.

In our air-conditioned buildings, I can afford to do the tunings closer to
the start of the semester, then in the middle of the second semester when
there's not too much heat on. This is the most stable in my situation, and I
get to spread things out some that way. After all these years I am on a
first-name basis with all our pianos, and can do each one when it is best for
it.

But then, whatever works !!
Bob Davis