Hammer Technique

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Wed, 06 Sep 1995 12:56:22 -0400 (EDT)

Ken Burton Wrote:

     >>Greetings all! I think I have been lurking long enough. I hope a
question in the area of tuning will be acceptable.
     If you read the PTG Journal, you will know that I am trying to
learn as much as I can about Hammer Technique.
     Here's my question: when tuning grands, how important is it to
exert strong thumb pressure on the hammer in an effort to rotate the pin
without leaning it sideways? Is this even possible?
     I have been simply pulling the hammer handle without worrying
about this force having the tendency to lean the pin.<<

     When raising the pitch enough to require substantial pin turning, then
     using the thumb to keep from bending the pin is a good idea. Whether or not
     the pin will be bent by lack of care might depend on the tightness of the
     pin in the block and the strength of the pin.

     I think most "pin benders" accomplish their specific brand of destruction
     by bending up and down (front and back on grands) for fine tuning.  I guess
     it works for them.

     Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com